Volunteers wanted to help with hands-on conservation work this autumn
Wednesday October 12th, 2016 | Stephanie
It’s time to don your boots, apply gloves and join us once again on our Tuesday Task Team. We have put together our autumn / winter programme of practical tasks at sites across the Scheme area. The usual scrub bashing and clearing needs tackling on the Rescuing Rocks sites. This exposes the rock and scree which benefits species such as the grayling butterfly and slowworm. At some of our Helping Hillforts and Earthwork Castles sites careful woodland management is planned to prevent damage to these historic monuments. We are always on the lookout for more volunteers, so join us if you can on one or more Tuesdays this autumn. No experience is necessary, training and tools are provided Below is where we’ll be each Tuesday:
- 11th Oct at Castle Pulverbatch. Scrub management and burning brash.
- 18th Oct at Pontesford Hill Lower Camp Hillfort. Scrub clearance.
- 25th Oct at Snailbeach. Habitat management in heritage area.
- 1st Nov at Earl’s Hill. Scrub management.
- 8th Nov at Pontesford Hill Lower Camp Hillfort. Scrub clearance.
- 15th Nov at Poles Coppice. Clearing holly and planting hazel.
- THURS 17th Nov at Churchstoke. Tree planting on the River Camlad.
- 22nd Nov at Poles Coppice. Clearing holly and planting hazel.
- 29th Nov at Marehay Marsh nr. Squilver, Stiperstones. Scrub clearing for the Wet Flush Project.
- 6th Dec at Poles Coppice. Scrub clearance in the quarry.
- 13th Dec at Snailbeach. Understory management for dormice.
For more details about each task day see our events page. Booking is essential as we may have to change task and venue at short notice – please contact the office on 01938 561741 or email email@example.com.